Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: House approves spyware legislation
From: Gregory Gilliss <ggilliss () netpublishing com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 05:03:45 -0700

Great, Not that I'm any fan of spyware, but this is just another law
against hacking. Think - what's the difference between this and someone
using XSS to "take control" of a computer? If you r00t a box and deface
the home page, then you've broken this law.

<sigh> Instead of fixing the problem (poor software security) we pass
laws to punish the people who do the things that illustrate the problem.
Basic philosophical differences, blah blah blah ...

Worst of all, do you really think that the spyware rackets will slow down
or cease because of this? Nope - they'll just migrate out of the jurisdiction.

-- Greg