Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: House approves spyware legislation
From: "RandallM" <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:09:45 -0500

<|>On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 05:03:45 -0700, Gregory Gilliss
<|><ggilliss () netpublishing com> wrote:
<|>> Great, Not that I'm any fan of spyware, but this is just
<|>another law
<|>> against hacking. Think - what's the difference between this and
<|>> someone using XSS to "take control" of a computer? If you
<|>r00t a box
<|>> and deface the home page, then you've broken this law.
<|>>
<|>> <sigh> Instead of fixing the problem (poor software
<|>security) we pass
<|>> laws to punish the people who do the things that
<|>illustrate the problem.
<|>> Basic philosophical differences, blah blah blah ...
<|>>
<|>> Worst of all, do you really think that the spyware rackets
<|>will slow
<|>> down or cease because of this? Nope - they'll just migrate
<|>out of the jurisdiction.
<|>>
<|>> -- Greg
<|>End of Full-Disclosure Digest
<|>

I guess one has to decide if browser hijacking is not the taking of personal
property. I for one do not fine it amusing to open my browser and it has
been redirected to a hijacked page as my new Homepage!
If this law would allow me...the user to bring down hell upon these people
then I'm all for it.