Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: interesting trojan found
From: Jordan T-H <jtheveno () purdue edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:25:20 -0500

I'm fairly sure you can delete it after mounting the partition in either
Minix or Knoppix.

From: Richard Stevens <richard () tccnet co uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:37:26 +0100
To: <full-disclosure () netsys com>
Subject: [Full-disclosure] interesting trojan found

A client had a problem home PC, after removal of all the usual spyware, adware
and 6 month old viruses,

there remained an unusual process in the process list, logon.exe, which

Process Explorer pointed to it being from c:\windows\system32\logon.exe

it tries to connect to a singnet ip address on port 3175.

This file appeared almost invisible to the file system in both safe & normal
mode, which struck me as being unusual.

You could not delete it, copy it or see it in a directory listing (file not
found),  but you could execute it directly.

I eventually got a copy of it by using an NTFS-reader boot disk, and ran it
through virus total.

Kaspersky was the only one to recognize it as backdoor.win32.rbot.gen

Just wondering really

a: if anyone wants it for study. (off list replies pls, will be sent in
passworded zip)
b: anyone know a free boot disk that both reads & writes to NTFS, so I can
delete it!

Regards

Richard

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.