Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Cygwin Bash Buffer Overflow (Cosmin Stejerean)
From: "Stejerean, Cosmin" <cstejere () cs depaul edu>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 06:23:27 -0500

Cygwin Bash Buffer Overflow
Author: Rodrigo Gutierrez <rodrigo () intellicomp cl>
Affected: Versions of bash distributed by the cygwin project
vendor url: http://www.cygwin.com
Type: Local

Background.
Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. GNU BASH is the GNU
project's UNIX shell. It replaces the standard UNIX Bourne and Korn
shells.

Description

I think that cygwin people are cool, but Full Disclosure is a life
style,
this is all you get guys, 8 megs.

PoC

you () cygwin:~ /usr/bin/bash `perl -e "print 'a'x8388600"`

Which version of bash for Cygwin? I tried your PoC on the latest version
of Cygwin and everything was fine.

Cosmin Stejerean