mailing list archives
Re: qmail security guarantee questioned
From: Georgi Guninski <guninski () guninski com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:50:49 +0300
On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 12:35:48PM +0100, Justin Murdock wrote:
you have yet to demonstrate that this bug will allow the system to be
compromised - you'll be able to save a file in /var/qmail/queue, then
exec it, or a system binary - but you'll still be stuck with very poor
the program at:
executes code with root privileges via qmail-popup for me.
the same commands zero writing bug.
notes for the qmail fanatics:
- this is not a dos, this is remote code execution with root privileges
- with local access the offsets are easily found, so exploitation is very
reliable in this case
- djb gives installation instructions in INSTALL which allow root compromise
- the payload consists of "int3" which produces trace trap for the microsoft
certified solitaire experts (MCSEs) who can't get it
where do you want bill gates to go today?
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
- Re: qmail security guarantee questioned Georgi Guninski (May 31)