Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Bigger burger roll needed
From: bkfsec <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:10:43 -0400

Micheal Espinola Jr wrote:

I'm not and have not been referring to hackers what-so-ever.  I'm
referring to poorly written drivers.

You guys are all over the place.  I'm done.

On 10/4/05, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 08:16:34 EDT, Micheal Espinola Jr said:

Without getting into specifics that no longer matter, surely they
could have did their part better to handle malformed input - but who
was malform'ing the input in the first place?
That's right. Blame the hackers.  Sounds like a sound bite from a Ballmer keynote
speech. :)

But, Curmudgeon's right... you can't just say "yeah, the OS can't handle malformed data, but that's not their problem."

One of the primary rules of coding is never trust the input. And that is a very valid point. The same flaws in code that cause exploits also cause crashes by their very nature. It's not "all over the place", it's a fact of system design. If they can't avoid mishandling input, then people's expectations will be low. See how it all comes together?

                  -bkfsec