Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

ftpd chdir() while root
From: Paul Szabo <psz () maths usyd edu au>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:07:17 +1000

Seems to me that ftpd does chdir(homedir) while root, before setting
UID/GID to the user logging in. This creates difficulties if the home
directory is on another machine via NFS with root_squash, and I guess
is a security issue as in some cases you may get a current directory
that would otherwise be inaccessible.

Some more details in  http://bugs.debian.org/384454 .

Cheers,

Paul Szabo   psz () maths usyd edu au   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney    Australia