Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft product vs Microsoft patch
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:43:18 -0400

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:34:00 CDT, John Dietz said:
Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe the numbers n3td3v is
looking for is how much code size the patches ADD to the system, not
the actual size of the patches themselves.

OK, but that again is yet another different metric.  And all it takes is
a patch that includes new functionality (new/improved SATA drivers, etc)
to make it very unclear what the number means.  To its credit, Microsoft
is usually pretty good about saving the big feature updates like adding
a firewall for shipping in the Service Packs rather than the monthly patches....