Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: blocking Google Desktop
From: gboyce <gboyce () badbelly com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 09:48:45 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, J.A. Terranson wrote:

Yes boys and girls, it is not safe to hand your mission critical data to
ANY third party.

If your data is sensitive, keep it home.

If you don't like Google's email "features", you have a choice you know.

        (Hint: GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!)

Yes, it really is THAT EASY to fully protect yourself against all this
Google Evil <lmao!>  Just Say No.

Uh huh.

As a computer user, I certainly do have this choice. I'm certainly not going to install Google Desktop. In fact, I generally don't run Windows, so I don't even have the OPTIOn of running Google Desktop.

This new "feature" still worries me though, and I want to find out how to block it. Why? Because of my JOB. I'm in a small group of people in charge of security for a company with hundreds of employees that are local admins to their desktops and laptops (for various reasons that I'm not going into here).

I'm not worried about MY documents ending on Google's servers. I'm worried about the documents belonging to a percentage of the company that either doesn't understand the security ramifications of using this feature, or just doesn't care.

User education only works to a degree. A way to PREVENT accidental information disclosure is needed.

--
Greg Boyce