Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: reduction of brute force login attempts via SSHthrough iptables --hashlimit
From: "Josh Berry" <josh.berry () netschematics com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:52:12 -0600 (CST)

On 2/28/06, GroundZero Security <fd () g-0 org> wrote:
you may be able to add a bogus ip (wow your l33t), but it wouldnt be of
any use so...

Uhh, no use? -s accepts a netmask as well as addresses, it's not just
"add > a bogus ip", I can effectively kick your machine off the network.
Apart from that the code looks very flimsy, I'll bet there's an
arbitrary > command execution in there somewhere.

instead of beeing a smartass why dont you provide a better solution
for the people who are annoyed by those bruteforce attacks?

Why dont you parse the output of lastb -i, dumbass.

I guess it makes you feel bigger and better to be an @sshole on a public
mailing list but I don't think that anyone is impressed with the fact that
you aren't offering any better ideas; just name-calling and showing a low
maturity level.

Just wasted time, space, and email if you aren't going to provide a
solution or try and fix the script.

I could be wrong, but doesn't last/lastb show users have have logged
in/out.  Therefore it wouldn't necessarily catch brute-forcers (unless
they were actually successful)?

This guy was just trying to be helpful and demonstrate a way of blocking
(or attempting to block) brute-forcers.  You aren't providing any value,
just being a d!ck.