mailing list archives
Outpost Enforcing system reboot with 'outpost_ipc_hdr' mutex Vulnerability
From: Matousec - Transparent security Research <research () matousec com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:37:01 +0200
We would like to inform you about a vulnerability in Outpost Firewall PRO 4.0.
Outpost insufficiently protects its own mutex outpost_ipc_hdr. Arbitrary process is able to open and capture this
In such case, Outpost is not able to use this mutex for its synchronization and its internal mechanisms lock when they
try to use it. Outpost uses this mutex every time a potentially dangerous operation is executed. For example, this
results in an impossibility of running new processes while the mutex is locked. After the mutex is released, all
operations completes. However, the release can not be enforced. User is thus forced to reboot the system.
* Outpost Firewall PRO 4.0 (1007.591.145)
* Outpost Firewall PRO 4.0 (964.582.059)
* probably all older versions of Outpost Firewall PRO 4.0
* possibly older versions of Outpost Firewall PRO
More details and a proof of concept including its source code are available here:
Matousec - Transparent security Research
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
- Outpost Enforcing system reboot with 'outpost_ipc_hdr' mutex Vulnerability Matousec - Transparent security Research (Jun 02)