mailing list archives
Kaspersky Multiple insufficient argument validation of hooked SSDT function Vulnerability
From: Matousec - Transparent security Research <research () matousec com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:14:58 +0200
We would like to inform you about a vulnerability in Kaspersky Internet Security 6.
Kaspersky Internet Security hooks many functions in SSDT and in at least nine cases it fails to validate arguments that
come from the user mode. User calls to NtCreateKey, NtCreateProcess, NtCreateProcessEx, NtCreateSection,
NtCreateSymbolicLinkObject, NtCreateThread, NtLoadKey2, NtOpenKey, NtOpenProcess with invalid argument values can cause
system crashes because of errors in KIS driver klif.sys. Further impacts of this bug (like arbitrary code execution in
the kernel mode) were not examined.
Note: A similar vulnerability in klif.sys driver has been published recently by an independent security researcher. In
that report, the list of vulnerable functions also contains NtDeleteValueKey, NtOpenSection and NtQueryValueKey.
* Kaspersky Internet Security 22.214.171.1241
* Kaspersky Internet Security 126.96.36.1994
* probably all older versions of Kaspersky Internet Security 6
* possibly older versions of Kaspersky Internet Security and other Kaspersky products that use klif.sys driver
More details and a proof of concept including its source code are available here:
Matousec - Transparent security Research
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
- Kaspersky Multiple insufficient argument validation of hooked SSDT function Vulnerability Matousec - Transparent security Research (Jun 15)