Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: mac trojan in-the-wild
From: Jay Sulzberger <jays () panix com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 22:14:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:

--On November 1, 2007 6:31:39 PM -0400 "Adam St. Onge"
<adamst.onge () gmail com> wrote:

So if i put a picture of a naked girl on a website and said to see more
you must open a terminal and enter "rm -rf".

Would we consider this a trojan...or just stupidity?

I would consider it stupidity to think that that is comparable to a trojan.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)

I think, under the standard Unix system of permissions, this is a
Trojan.  Under the standard Unix system of permissions, every
application running in my home directory can issue an
'rm -rf /home/me' and, without proper near in time backup, cause
me much annoyance.  The defect lies in the system of permissions.
There exist systems of rolling off-machine backups and minimum
privilege permissions systems, but they are not yet standard.

oo--JS.

Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/