Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DNS Cache Dan Kamikaze (Actual Exploit Discussion)
From: Rob <spamproof () nospammail net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 07:28:13 -0700

Ureleet wrote:
there can be no actual exploit discussion unless you have dan on the
thread.  dan?

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM, eugaaa () gmail com <eugaaa () gmail com> wrote:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1466
Can someone clarify what they meant by "non-reversible patch" ?

I think they mean that some patches make obvious what the flaw is and possibly
how to exploit it. These patches fix a known weakness - not using randomized
origin ports and dns query ids (and in some cases improving the horribly
non-random randomizing routines). The patches don't expose much information
about the exploit, thus fueling the righteous indignation of those complaining
about the hype.

If he is wrong, then the only real downside is that large numbers of dns
servers were upgraded to a less sucky version of BIND.

http://www.doxpara.com/slides/BH_EU_05-Kaminsky.pdf

http://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1603
Are these .deb patches automagical?

*scratches head*
I'm not interested in discussing the hype or scene-war aspect of this
vulnerability.

Has anyone actually verified the impact of this vulnerability? Any code,
anything?
(http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/4266)

Dan is sworn to secrecy until his talk, so we have to wait till then.