Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Port Randomization: New revision of our IETF Internet-Draft
From: Fernando Gont <fernando.gont () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 06:06:36 -0300

At 04:50 p.m. 01/09/2008, coderman wrote:

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Fernando Gont
<fernando.gont () gmail com> wrote:
... IETF Internet-Draft about port randomization...

wget -qO -
http://www.gont.com.ar/drafts/port-randomization/draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-02.txt
| grep -i grsec

is still empty.  why do you dismiss grsec?

Valdis has already answered your question. That said, the document
itself is not a survey of what every OS or OS+patch does with respect
to ephemeral ports, and that little survey we included is not meant
to be complete (for instance, there's no description of what Windows does).

Also, the base Linux system already implements Algorithm #3. So I
wonder why anybody would patch the Linux ephemeral port selection
algorithm.... (unless it is to implement algorithm #4 of our draft).

Regarding me "dismissing" grsec, I tried to (but couldn't) get the
guy whose e-mail address is available at the grsec web site to review
one of the documents I have been working on, so that he could provide
his perspective on each of the issues discussed.

P.S.: The "survey" section must be about 1% of the document. I'd be
glad to hear comments on the rest of the document.

Kind regards,

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando () gont com ar || fgont () acm org