Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Port Randomization: New revision of our IETF Internet-Draft
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 12:05:31 -0400

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 17:17:43 +0800, Pavel Labushev said:

"SECURITY PATCH tag on a fix" helps me to know that there is the problem
and I must consider the patch, check its correctness and maybe
test/backport/apply it to my production systems ASAP. Just as another
tags helps me to know that there are realiability and other issues I
must care about.

OK, now s/security patch/silent data corruption/ and tell me what's *actually*
different.

Wow, you still need to consider it, check it, test it, and deploy it.

Unless of course you don't give a shit about your data.  But in that case,
the security patch can probably be overlooked too.

That's Linus's point - if the patch is important enough to go into one of
the -stable tree kernels, it's probably something you want to install, whether
or not it's a security patch.