Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Oh Yeah, botnet communications
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 23:34:32 -0500

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 23:13:38 EST, T Biehn said:

You know how the current amateur botnet offerings are basing domain lists
off the current time to allow the 'good guys' to prepare?

Why not base the seed off something like a news RSS feed? I asked some
whitehats when I was ruined in Washington DC and they couldn't tell me.

If you're the botnet owner, you need to have some way to know what domain
name your botnet will be looking for, so you can register it.

If you look at 11:06AM, see the top news story is something about Obama
flipping the Republican party the bird, and computes the domain name to
register based on that, but then at 11:07AM some editor at CNN pulls that
headline and replaces it with "Obama sends obscene gesture to Republicans"
before your bots wake up at 11:08AM and check what domain to use, you're
screwed.