mailing list archives
Re: Slashdot hacked?
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:23:57 -0400
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:47:42 -0000, Compsec Guy said:
What's wrong with Slashdot today?
Oh my ghod, it's full of ponies!!
(Hint: Before posting to a worldwide list asking what's wrong with a site,
a few things to check:
0) Wait at least 5-10 minutes to make sure it's not a short-lived issue that
will be fixed before people have a chance to read your mail. Go have a beer,
or a cookie, or something else age-appropriate. It will probably be better by
the time you get back.
1) Ask a friend (preferably in another country, or at least a different ISP)
whether they see the issue as well.
2) Describe any steps you've taken to verify the problem isn't at your end.
For instance, if you're using somebody else's wireless connection, maybe this
happened to you: http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html
3) Bill Joy's Law of Demos: "Never precede a demo with anything more
predictive than 'Watch This!'". When reporting a problem, don't do that.
Give at least a rough idea of what you are observing - site times out,
connection refused, connects but no pages returned, all pages have either
goatse or n3td3v pictures on them, etc...
For the record, it looks fine from here (at least the front page)
Latest story posted:
Ask Slashdot: How To Vet Clever Ideas Without Giving Them Away? on Thursday July 23, @06:00PM
Posted by timothy on Thursday July 23, @06:00PM
from the don't-clever-ideas-want-to-be-free? dept.
So what do you *think* the problem is?
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
- Slashdot hacked? Compsec Guy (Jul 23)
- Re: Slashdot hacked? Valdis . Kletnieks (Jul 25)