Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Who is destroying our internet?
From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:34:05 -0400

While these two events are not related in anyway, I am wondering why
people don't create backup off site or don't plan normal failsafe's
when there site is as big as Google (we have seen a few popular sites
die because of this mistake)

Google fat-fingered something in their BGP configs(*) .. even with all
the HA and redundancy in the world, mistakes happen.
BGP/Routing is probably the one place where a mistake will monkey-wrench
even the most elaborate redundancy schemes.

(*) :
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/this-is-your-pilot-speaking-now-about.html