Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Meet Kurt Greenbaum, Director of Social Media, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Reports commenter to employer.
From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:38:46 -0500

(Remember - in this case, contacting the school's network provider would
*not* have found the user, because the network provider just provides
a connection and bandwidth.  Any login records/etc are at the *school*,
not the provider).

Vladis .. not sure about that school since it was K12, but in both your
case and mine .. we *are* the ISP (insofar as we have our own ASN and
valid info on whois).

If K12 is done there like I've seen in a lot of other places, they
probably have a consortium that provides connectivity and each
institution has a CIDR block within the consortium's AS .. and I'm sure
the school had some web-nazi appliance that made it a few-clicks of a
mouse to figure out "whodunit".

Also .. as to the legal matters .. the instructor in question would have
been in a much better position if he'd been fired rather than resigning.
Granted, he probably quit because he knew he *would* be fired .. but
it's hard to argue "unlawful termination" when you quit on your own
(IANAL, etc.).

Cheers,

Michael Holstein
Cleveland State University