Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Geolocation Question
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 17:54:12 -0500

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 23:14:36 +0100, Dan Kaminsky said:
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:12 PM, <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
OK, so it only works against wireless routers that have been wardriven
already.  Makes you wonder what's on those Google Street-View trucks
besides a camera. ;)

www.wigle.net and SkyHook have been doing this stuff for a while.  Though I
suppose there is that rule, "It's only creepy if Google does it"

Not creepy, just a simple matter of scale.  I'm fairly sure that Google's
done several orders of magnitude more driving around than the other guys.

Main Street in beautiful downtown Grundy, Virginia.  Yes, it's that small. Yes,
Google drove by. I wonder how many other wardrivers have hit Grundy. ;)

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.278588,-82.099366&spn=0,359.997028&z=19&layer=c&cbll=37.278685,-82.099343&panoid=C8d_pjVMpK6LG7b2lk8qIA&cbp=12,181.19,,0,5

(Full disclosure - Verizon did do a Wimax trial in Grundy serving about 1400
subscribers.  So if anything, there should be *more* wardriving hitting Grundy
than other similar small towns that that same Google drive-by drove through
that day.