mailing list archives
Context App Tool - New Web Application Testing Tool Released
From: Context IS - Disclosure <disclosure () contextis co uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:51:14 +0000
CAT is an application to facilitate manual web application penetration testing. It was designed to cope with a more
demanding level of application testing, taking away some of the more repetitive nature of testing and allowing the
tester to focus their time instead on the individual application, enabling them to conduct a much more thorough test.
Conceptually it is similar to other proxies available both commercially and open source. CAT provides a richer feature
set and greater performance, combined with a more intuitive user interface to aid a professional manual penetration
There are a number of differences between CAT and currently available web proxies. Some key differences are:
* Uses Internet Explorer's rendering engine for accurate HTML representation
* Supports many different types of text conversations including: URL, Base64, Hex, Unicode, HTML/XML, SQL and
* Integrated SQL Injection and XSS Detection
* Synchronised Proxies for Authentication and Authorisation checking
* Faster due to HTTP connection caching
* SSL Version and Cipher checker using OpenSSL
* Greater flexibility for importing/exporting logs and saving projects
* Tabbed Interface allowing for multiple tools at once e.g. multiple repeaters and different logs
* The ability to repeat and modify a sequence of requests (particular useful in SSO testing)
There are a number of features which CAT has to enable a wide variety of testing to be conducted:
* Request Repeater – Used for repeating a single request
* Proxy – Classic Inline proxy
* Fuzzer – Allows for batch of tests to be sent to a server for brute forcing, parameter fuzzing, forced browsing
* Log – View a list of requests to sort, search repeat etc. Allows for a sequence of requests to be repeated and
* Authentication Checker – Two synchronised proxies which can be used to check authentication and authorisation
* SSL Checker – Request a specific page with various SSL ciphers and versions.
* Notepad – A text/RTF editor which can be used as a scratch pad for conversions etc.
* Web Browser – An integrated web browser with proxy pre-configured based on the Internet Explorer's rendering
For more information and to download a copy go to http://cat.contextis.com
Look forward to any feedback,
About Context Information Security
Context Information Security Limited is a specialist information security consultancy based in London and Dusseldorf.
Context promotes the holistic approach to information security and helps clients to identify, assess and control their
exposure to risk within the fields of IT, telephony and physical security. Context employs experienced information
security professionals who are subject-matter experts in their various technical specialisms. Context works
extensively within the finance, legal, defence and government sectors, delivering high-end information security
projects to organisations for which security is a priority.
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
- Context App Tool - New Web Application Testing Tool Released Context IS - Disclosure (Jan 05)