Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Disk wiping -- An alternate approach?
From: Stefan Weimar <full-disclosure () tanis toppoint de>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:24:39 +0100

Hi,

Am 26. Januar schrieb Michael Holstein:

No, wear-leveling (done at the memory controller level) will dynamically
re-map addresses on the actual flash chip to ensure a relatively
consistent number of write cycles across the entire drive.

The only way to completely "wipe" a flash disk is with a hammer.

Yes, but what if I overwrite the device with random data from the very
first to the very last byte? Suppose the size of the device hasn't
decreased I'd think that wear-levelling has no chance to spare blocks in
this case.

kind regards
Stefan
--
make -it ./work

GnuPG-Key: B96CF8D2 <sw () tanis toppoint de>
Fingerprint: D8AC D5E7 6865 19B1 385F  8850 2AB7 6A82 B96C F8D2