Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Ubisoft DDoS
From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 16:21:30 +0000

On Mar 9, 2010, at 11:01 PM, <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

Oh, I didn't say they didn't exist.

A good way to get started w/scalable DDoS mitigation is to implement S/RTBH on one's hardware-based edge routers, and
then make use of open-source NetFlow tools for visibility.

There are commercial solutions as well - in the interests of full disclosure (pardon the pun, heh), I work for a vendor
of such intelligent DDoS mitigation (IDMS) solutions.

These slides may be of interest in hardening/leveraging one's network infrastructure and gaining the ability to
detect/classify/traceback/mitigate DDoS:

<http://files.me.com/roland.dobbins/k54qkv>

<http://files.me.com/roland.dobbins/prguob>

<http://files.me.com/roland.dobbins/k4zw3x>

<http://files.me.com/roland.dobbins/dweagy>

There was also a relevant talk at the latest NANOG (a synopsis of discussions on nanog-l and cisco-nsp):

<http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog48/presentations/Monday/Kaeo_FilterTrend_ISPSec_N48.pdf>

and other relevant presentations at various NANOGs in the past.

To answer the previous respondent's question, Cisco acquired Riverhead and its Guard in early 2004:

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/end_of_life_c51-573493.html>

I also highly recommend this book by Dave Smith and Gregg Schudel of Cisco - it's the best (and only!) book on
real-world opsec out there, available in dead-tree, Kindle, and Adobe Reader formats:

<http://www.amazon.com/Router-Security-Strategies-Securing-Network/dp/1587053365/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262667257&sr=8-1>

[Full disclosure again; I'm cited in the book, but received and continue to receive no renumeration of any kind due to
same.]

But before going the commercial route, folks should work on hardening their hosts/OSes/apps and leveraging their
existing infrastructure and open-source as noted in the presentations above - in many cases, this is all that's needed,
as outlined here:

<http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2010-January/016747.html>

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken