Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Windows' future (reprise)
From: rdsears () mtu edu
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 16:50:17 -0400 (EDT)

And what of the pass the hash group of attacks, not to mention the
insecure hashing to begin with? Combine that with token manipulation
and process migration and you have a very deadly combination to almost
any windows network that you don't see anywhere else. Exploiting
windows networks in this way is trivial at best, and is built in to
the operating system as a set of 'features'.

That's not to say the *nix platform doesn't have it's own security
problems, but at least they're a.) dealt with in a more timely manner,
and b.) easily analyzed by anyone. Even if 99/100 people that looks at
it is 'uneducated' as you put it i'd rather have the one set of eyes
on it going 'hey this needs to be fixed' and educating eveyone else on
how to manage it, a la the Debian PRNG SSH bug a couple years ago.
Imagine how that wouldve gone if Microsoft had dealt with a similar
issue.

Having said that I have to say even though some people may not find
Stuart's research interesting, he's simply trying to report his
findings. He's doing this to help paint a picture of security in the
state it's ACTUALLY in, and try to predict where it's progressing to.

Everything in nature can be modeled with mathematics, why not threat
trends?