Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Filezilla's silent caching of user's credentials
From: rdsears () mtu edu
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:40:05 -0400 (EDT)

I mean it's a nice thought, but the steps to get something like that indexed are quite silly. You would have to have
your webserver indexing your application data, which is clearly a HUGE mis-configuration on their part. I personally
don't care because I don't know if it's really going to do any good, and the last thing I want to do is have to explain
to people in detail with varying levels of technical capacity how to secure their own systems. I do that enough already
:-/

If that's being indexed I think they have far bigger problems already and their servers are probably already
compromised a few times over.

I'd say if you have a personal connection to any of those ~11 servers go for it, but otherwise I wouldn't waste my
time. After all it is 11 out of the billions of external facing servers on the Internet. If you spent your time for
every google dork privately disclosing to each owner the fact that their site is vulnerable, you wouldn't have enough
time in your life to finish with them. Even if you tried to automate it. Plus there's a good portion of people who will
just ignore you, I've had it done to me on pressing issues on a couple of occasions. It's just a part of the security
world you have to live with.

I guess it just depends on how much you want to 'fix the interwebz'.

That's just my 2 cents though but it's a nice thought.

Regards,
Ryan Sears