Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

TELUS Security Labs VR - Adobe Shockwave Director pamm Chunk Memory Corruption
From: TELUS Security Labs - Vulnerability Research <noreply () telus com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:26:58 -0400 (EDT)

Adobe Shockwave Director pamm Chunk Memory Corruption

TSL ID: FSC20101028-02

1. Affected Software

Adobe Shockwave Player, version 11.5.8.612 and prior

Reference: http://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer/

2. Vulnerability Summary

A memory corruption vulnerability exists in Adobe Shockwave Player while parsing crafted Adobe Director files (.dir or
.dcr), that may lead to arbitrary code execution.

3. Vulnerability Analysis

The vulnerability is due to insufficient validation of certain fields while parsing 'pamm' chunk data. An attacker can
leverage this vulnerability to write data to an attacker-controlled memory location. Successful exploitation could
allow for the execution of arbitrary code within the security context of a target user.

4. Vulnerability Detection

TELUS Security Labs has confirmed the vulnerability in:

Adobe Shockwave Player versions 11.5.8.612 and 11.5.7.609

5. Workaround

Do not accept DIR or DCR files from untrusted sources.

6. Vendor Response

Patches have been made available to eliminate this vulnerability:

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-25.html

7. Disclosure Timeline

  2010-08-31 Reported to vendor
  2010-08-31 Initial vendor response
  2010-10-28 Coordinated public disclosure

8. Credits

Junaid Bohio, Vulnerability Research Team, TELUS Security Labs

9. References

  CVE: CVE-2010-4084
  Vendor: http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-25.html

10. About TELUS Security Labs

TELUS Security Labs, formerly Assurent Secure Technologies is the leading provider of security research. Our research
services include:

    * Vulnerability Research
    * Malware Research
    * Signature Development
    * Shellcode Exploit Development
    * Application Protocols
    * Product Security Testing
    * Security Content Development (parsers, reports, alerts)

TELUS Security Labs provides a specialized portfolio of services to assist security product vendors with newly
discovered commercial product vulnerabilities and malware attacks. Many of our services are provided on a subscription
basis to reduce research costs for our customers. Over 50 of the world's leading security product vendors rely on TELUS
Security Labs research.

http://www.telussecuritylabs.com/