mailing list archives
Internet Explorer 8 PoC: Twitter forced-tweet demo
From: Chris Evans <scarybeasts () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 15:38:52 -0700
In an attempt to get this bug fixed...
A nasty vulnerability exists in the latest Internet Explorer 8. I have been
unsuccessful in persuading the vendor to issue a fix.
The bug permits -- for example -- an arbitrary web site to force the victim
to make tweets.
(For academic research purposes only)
Harmless example: http://scary.beasts.org/misc/twitter.html
This is not weaponized. It won't do anything to your Twitter account unless
you press the button.
- This is purely an IE bug; there is no fault on behalf of Twitter and there
is no reasonable workaround.
- Similar attacks can be mounted against other sites of interest.
- There's evidence to suggest that Microsoft has been aware of this since at
- This could interact unpleasantly with the trust people place in URL
- This probably affects earlier versions.
- Public CMU academic paper: http://websec.sv.cmu.edu/css/css.pdf
- A less serious variant in all the other major browsers (long since fixed
by all of them):
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
- Internet Explorer 8 PoC: Twitter forced-tweet demo Chris Evans (Sep 03)