Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Google's robot.txt handling
From: Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.it.consulting () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 00:01:46 +1100

If I understand the OP correctly, he is not stating that listing something
in robots.txt would make it inaccessible, but rather that Google indexes
the robots.txt files themselves,

<snipped>

Well, um, yeah - I got that.

So you are what, proposing that moving an open door back a few
centimetres solves the (non) problem?

Take your proposal to it's logical extension and stop all search engines
(especially the ones that don't respect robots.txt) from indexing
robots.txt. Now what do you do about Nutch or even some perl script that
anyone can whip up in 2 minutes?

Security through obscurity is fine when couple with actual security -
but relying on it alone is just daft.

Expecting to world to change so bad habits have no consequence is
dangerously naive.

I suspect you're looking to hard at finding fault with Google - who are
complying with the robots.txt. Read the spec. - it's about not following
the listed directories, not about not listing the robots.txt.  Next
you'll want laws against bad weather and furniture with sharp corners.

Don't put things you don't want seen to see in places that can be seen.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Scott Ferguson <