Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Avast Antivirus
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:26:44 -0500

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Floste <floste () gmx de> wrote:
So if a sandboxed process injects a DLL in say a running IE process outside

That is exactly what we are talking about! Avast allows you to run a
program inside a sandbox. A program running inside the sandbox can still
inject dlls into processes outside of the sandbox! So much for the
so-called sandbox.
Avast automatically suggests to use the sandbox if one tries to start
certain possibly dangerous programs.

In addition to the sandbox Avast has onother, diffenent feature called
"SafeZone". Unlike the sandbox, SafeZone is supposed to keep keyloggers
out of certain processes. But you can get into these "safe" processes
using dll-injection.

This only applies if the user is running an x64 operating system. (The
os type matters, not the application type) I guess that they do
additional security checks in kernelmode on x86 os, but not on x64 os.
I believe for Vista and below, Kernel Patch Protection (Patch Guard)
is optional for x86, but mandatory for x64. Put another way, vendors
are supposed to use the Kernel Data and Filtering Support API rather
than hot patching the System Service Dispatch Table (SSDT) to extend
Object Manager functionality.

Jeff