Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: when did piracy/theft become expression of freedom
From: Michael Schmidt <mschmidt () drugstore com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:06:28 +0000

You want to be very careful with that line of thought. You are taking the creator the rightful owners profits, which
they are entitled to if it is a product they created to be sold. You are confusing what you want - with what the law
states. Theft is typically very widely defined in the law, not just what the dictionary states.

When you make a copy, you are performing a step that the manufacturer takes with physical products. Just because
copying software is easy does not mean the laws are so cut and dried around what is theft and what is not. If you take
something by making yourself a copy, when the producer is the only authorized authority to make copies then you have
committed theft.

You also cannot steal electricity, check out "Abstracting Electricity", but bypassing the meter is wrong in most
jurisdictions.

In the US you can be arrested and charged for riding in a stolen car, even if you really didn't know it was stolen,
known as "taking without consent" or TWOC.

In some jurisdictions you can be arrested and charged for "going equipped for burglary" mean you have implements of the
trade on you - crowbars, lock picks etc. So I suppose in the US we are fortunate that having a copy of some previously
defined hacking tools on a computer in our possession will not get us arrested - yet.

The more you know...