Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: when did piracy/theft become expression of freedom
From: Laurelai <laurelai () oneechan org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:37:09 -0600

On 1/27/2012 12:06 PM, Michael Schmidt wrote:

You want to be very careful with that line of thought. You are taking
the creator the rightful owners profits, which they are entitled to if
it is a product they created to be sold. You are confusing what you
want -- with what the law states. Theft is typically very widely
defined in the law, not just what the dictionary states.

When you make a copy, you are performing a step that the manufacturer
takes with physical products. Just because copying software is easy
does not mean the laws are so cut and dried around what is theft and
what is not. If you take something by making yourself a copy, when the
producer is the only authorized authority to make copies then you have
committed theft.

You also cannot steal electricity, check out "Abstracting
Electricity", but bypassing the meter is wrong in most jurisdictions.

In the US you can be arrested and charged for riding in a stolen car,
even if you really didn't know it was stolen, known as "taking without
consent" or TWOC.

In some jurisdictions you can be arrested and charged for "going
equipped for burglary" mean you have implements of the trade on you --
crowbars, lock picks etc. So I suppose in the US we are fortunate that
having a copy of some previously defined hacking tools on a computer
in our possession will not get us arrested -- yet.

The more you know...