Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Google Accounts Security Vulnerability
From: Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal () dataix net>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 12:32:13 -0400

LMFAO!

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 04:22:30AM -0700, Michael J. Gray wrote:
Effective since May 1, 2012.

Products Affected: All Google account based services

Upon attempting to log-in to my Google account while away from home, I was
presented with a message that required me to confirm various details about
my account in order to ensure I was a legitimate user and not just someone
who came across my username and password. Unable to remember what my phone
number from 2004 was, I looked for a way around it.

The questions presented to me were:

    Complete the email address: a******g () gmail com

    Complete the phone number: (425) 4**-***7

Since this was presented to me, I was certain I had my username and password
correct.

From there, I simply went to check my email via IMAP at the new location.

I was immediately granted access to my email inboxes with no trouble.

From there, I attempted to log-in to my Google account with the same
username and password.

To my surprise, I was not presented with any questions to confirm my
identity.

This completes the steps required to bypass this account hijacking
counter-measure.

This just goes to show that even the largest corporations that employ teams
of security experts, can also overlook very simple issues.

--