Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Google Accounts Security Vulnerability
From: Mike Hearn <hearn () google com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 14:48:08 +0200

now if only Google's two factor auth could use tamper resistant tokens.
 i trust my phone even less than my browser... :(

It can! The codes that 2-step uses can be generated using the open TOTP
standard, and the Google Authenticator smartphone app is just an
implementation of that:

  https://code.google.com/p/google-authenticator/

I don't know enough about hardware OTP tokens to say for sure, but I think
if you can find a time-based code generator you can probably set it up to
accept the same keys the smartphone app does.