Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ifIndex overflow (Linux Kernel - net/core/dev.c) [maybe offtopic]
From: Daniel Corbe <corbe () corbe net>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 06:05:20 -0500

That would require that you have sufficient access to create pseudo-eth
devices in the first place.  A vector of attack which requires previous
privilege escalation or which is carried out by an individual in a
position of trust is wholly uninteresting.   The former requiring too
much effort and the latter requiring a reexamination of your
interpersonal relationships.

-Daniel

Daniel Preussker <daniel () preussker net> writes:

Hi,

I was looking into the net/core/dev.c from the current Kernel
(previous also have this) and found out that ifIndex gets incremented
by an endless loop.

After creating 4 billion pseudo-eth devices I finally got it to
overflow and endless loop, had to kill the kernel - fun right?

General question, is this known?

Daniel Preussker

[ Security Consultant, Network & Protocol Security and Cryptography
[ LPI & Novell Certified Linux Engineer and Researcher
[ +49 178 600 96 30
[ Daniel () Preussker Net
[ http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x87E736968E490AA1