Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Student expelled from Montreal college after finding vulnerability that compromised security of 250, 000
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 14:22:28 -0500

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:59:53 +0100, Stefan Weimar said:

1) The kid, as part of his major, signed an ethics document.

A better solution would have been to not do the steps 1 and 2 but make
an NDA ("Ok, we know and you know but that's enough by now.") instead.
I mean, some kind of responsible disclosure.

By proposing this "ethics document" it was the college being
unprofessional and not the kid.

I think you misunderstand - the ethics document was signed *when he
applied as a student".  If you think that's "unprofessional", you
might want to consider that doctors, lawyers, and other professions
have ethics standards as well.  As does anybody who has a CISSP:

https://www.isc2.org/ethics/default.aspx

I'd say anybody who persisted in doing something after they promised
not to would be running afoul of the "necessary public trust and confidence"
clause of the CISSP code of ethics?