Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

explanation and view
From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 1995 14:27:20 -0500

Sometimes I tend to focus on an issue and may seem to be
being an "activist" on it. I have my personal opinions
which I sometimes state. But the reason I focus on an issue
is when I believe the issue will raise a serious set of
questions re the NII/GII and its future.

For example the U Mich case may raise a set of
international issues re the flow of information and the
ability of the US to impose it's views and culture on the
world. It also raises some interesting consitutional issues
which could impact the future of the NII. The distance
between threats to a person alleged in the Mich case and
anti-semetic babbling that come on the net is not, in my
view , a big one. Is a threat to a group equivalant to one
to a person? Shall we control both? Is a message calling
for the overthrow of the government forbidden?

I think these questions will last beyond Michigan and may
impact the future of Cyberspace.

Anyway just why I do it.

Dave

  By Date           By Thread