Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: PERL/RSA t-shirts for Americans only
From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 28 May 1995 08:35:41 +0900

Date: Sat, 27 May 95 18:03:32 EDT
From: crocker () cybercash com (Steve Crocker)

It's a nice piece of PR, but it's really a form of disinformation.  I doubt
that t-shirts containing a couple of lines of PERL code which implement the
RSA algorithm are controlled under the ITAR.  The ITAR specifcally exempts
publications.  I'm not a lawyer and am only moderately expert on the ins
and outs of this area, so I can't speak definitively.  However, I would be
surprised if there were any stronger export control over these t-shirts
than there would be for any other t-shirt and/or publication.  (As a
general matter, *all* goods which are exported are subject to Commerce
licensing and approval.  This is a trade matter, not an arms control
matter.)

On a more philosophical note, it's interesting to speculate what the effect
of this disinformation is.  On the one hand, it highlights the Government's
control over cryptography, and although the specifics are wrong, it's
possible that the net result will be positive.  On the other hand, this
sort of disinformation makes it possible for those of us with accurate
information to move forward and collect a premium for our services.

Steve

Steve Crocker
CyberCash, Inc., Suite 430                        Work: +1 703 620 4200
2100 Reston Parkway                               Fax:  +1 703 620 4215
Reston, VA 22091                                  crocker () cybercash com

  By Date           By Thread