Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: London Underground sues Scottish bar over copyright
From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 16:17:37 -0500

Youy have got to be kidden Tell me it isApril 1 st djf

The Times, December 3 1998   BRITAIN

  Bar sued for ideas above its station

    BY GILLIAN HARRIS, SCOTLAND CORRESPONDENT
 THE owner of a Scottish pub that lies 500 miles beyond
 the end of the Northern Line has been ordered to pay
 compensation after being accused of passing his premises
 off as a London Underground station.

 Kenny Nicoll, who runs the Underground Bar in Dundee,
 said yesterday that he had received a lawyer's letter from
 London Underground claiming that the pub was
 impersonating one of its stations. Mr Nicoll was instructed
 by the law firm Campbell Hooper to remove all references
 to the network or face court action.

 "This is crazy," he said. "Do they think we have queues of
 people standing outside waiting on a Tube? If these
 people are suggesting we are passing ourselves off as a
 tartan Tube station, they must be at least four stops
 beyond Barking."

 London Underground said the gold and black signs that
 hung inside and outside the pub must be taken down
 because they breached copyright. Mr Nicoll has also been
 asked to pay "significant compensation" to London
 Regional Transport's Museum of Transport, which sells
 approved Underground memorabilia.

 "What are we supposed to be compensating them for?"
 asked Mr Nicoll, whose basement bar has been called the
 Underground since it opened in 1970. "I can't believe
 commuters in London have stopped travelling by Tube
 because of a Dundee pub. I'm not prepared to change the
 name."

 LRT said that using imitation Underground signs, whatever
 the colour, was a breach of copyright. A spokesman said
 the company was entitled to pursue a claim for damages,
 interest and legal costs from the pub's printers, advertisers
 and distributors.
--end--

  By Date           By Thread