Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Philips device could force TV viewers to watch ads
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:36:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell () joe-job com>
Date: April 20, 2006 8:06:39 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com, caesar () starkreality com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Philips device could force TV viewers to watch ads

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 19:42 -0400, David Farber wrote:
Although the public details of this are limited at the present time, one wonders what would be stopping "broadcasters" from preventing users from
changing channels during the show as well?  Maybe I'm a cynic, but I
foresee
"broadcasters" using this technology to force viewers to either watch
"Survivor 2015: LAX" or pay up.

I can't see broadcasters ever deploying this - it would fail in the
marketplace.  I know a lot of people who got hooked on Tivo and now
would give up TV rather than go back to non-skippable commercials.

I think the future for TV advertisers is ubiquitous product placement -
think '24', where every shot has a Cisco, Ford, or Dell product in it.
And it works whether people Tivo it, watch it on TV with the commercials
or download it with bittorrent.

Lee