Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

Google defends Chinese censorship, opening Chinese tech center
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:43:56 -0400

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1834045

""We believe that the decision that we made to follow the law in China was absolutely the right one," Schmidt said at a news conference. He said Google had to accept restrictions in order to serve China, which has the world's second-largest population of Internet users after the United States, with more than 111 million people online.

Schmidt also announced the creation of a research center in Beijing that he said should have 150 employees by mid-2006 and "eventually thousands of people." He said the center is meant to create products for markets worldwide, though he said planning was still in such an early stage that he didn't know what they might be."