Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

more on H1-Bs again: WSJ.com - Businesses Make a Push For High-Skilled Foreign Workers
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:56:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kevin Marks <kmarks () apple com>
Date: April 12, 2006 6:56:36 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] H1-Bs again: WSJ.com - Businesses Make a Push For High-Skilled Foreign Workers

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:41:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: reece () pobox com
By the way, pardon my xenophobia, but have you noticed that the only time you see or hear the words "indispensable" or "talent" associated with members of the American workforce it's only with regard to the foreign ones?

Well, that is the language of the visa:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/h1b.htm

What is an H-1B?

The H-1B is a nonimmigrant classification used by an alien who will be employed temporarily in a specialty occupation or as a fashion model of distinguished merit and ability.

What is a specialty occupation?

A specialty occupation requires theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge along with at least a bachelors degree or its equivalent. For example, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, business specialties, accounting, law, theology, and the arts are specialty occupations.

When I got mine, I had to show requisite qualifications and experience, and my employer had to show they were paying more than the normal wage for the job.