Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Home science under attack
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:21:13 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: August 13, 2008 12:56:02 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Home science under attack

At 02:08 AM 8/13/2008, Armando Stettner wrote:

"Chemical laboratory apparatus" means any item of equipment designed, made, or adapted to manufacture a controlled substance or a controlled substance analogue, including:
(A)  a condenser
(B)  a distilling apparatus
(C)  a vacuum drier
(D)  a three-neck or distilling flask
(E)  a tableting machine
(F)  an encapsulating machine
(G)  a filter, Buchner, or separatory funnel
(H)  an Erlenmeyer, two-neck, or single-neck flask
(I)  a round-bottom, Florence, thermometer, or filtering flask
(J)  a Soxhlet extractor
(K)  a transformer
(L)  a flask heater
(M)  a heating mantel  or
(N)  an adaptor tube

I have several Erlenmeyer flasks in my kitchen, which I use to measure
ingredients for recipes. I've been told that the bread I bake can induce
pleasurable sensations, but I doubt that it is a controlled substance.

I also have about 500 transformers of various kinds in inventory for
my wireless Internet business. I do not think that this makes me a
drug manufacturer.

What's quite annoying, though, is that some common household chemicals
have been pulled from the shelves because they might be used to
manufacture drugs. I used to be able to buy lye in 5 pound tubs --
very useful because, as a landlord, I'm always cleaning out drains
that tenants clog. My wife also used to use some of the lye to make
soap. Now, all one can find in the hardware stores is Drano, which is
not suitable for soap making. It also costs 20 times as much as ordinary
lye and contains a dye that can stain tile. If you ask for ordinary lye
at Home Depot or a similar "big box" hardware store, the staff is
instructed to be very suspicious of you, since you are obviously cooking
Meth.

--Brett Glass