Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: US Internet speeds won't catch up with Japan in 100 years -- that ISDN, oops, I mean broadband gap again
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:25:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: August 14, 2008 10:51:25 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "'Dewayne Hendricks'" <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: RE: [IP] US Internet speeds won't catch up with Japan in 100 years -- that ISDN, oops, I mean broadband gap again

Again the broadband gap and we fall into it. At least it’s better than the ISDN gap we used to have.

The headline alone should make one very suspicious of this report. Why is the CWA pitching this as a national policy rather than pitching it to tens of thousands of communities that can act now without waiting?

While I applaud the call for openness the focus on speed misses the point of the Internet which is to assure connectivity. Speed is very important but it’s a consequence of a dynamic and if you make speed your focus you will fail to provide the opportunity to innovate by putting a price hurdle and carrier-dependency as gating factors. But then this is the CWA – essentially the union of those employed by the incumbents.

The problem is very clear – why don’t we at least light up the existing copper as DSL so we can start using the Internet and maybe start to understand it instead of waiting for a fiber before we can do anything at all. I remember the structured wiring plans from the 1990’s that required huge fiber and coax runs throughout homes. Turns out that the money was wasted – very thin Ethernet with distributed switches and/or 802.11 have trumped those expensive bundles and have allowed people to install their own networks instead of waiting for installers.

Communities can have 100% connectivity now the same way without waiting for or paying carriers.

The CWA should applaud such efforts because it will provide opportunity for many new companies and jobs working for the communities rather than their old moribund employees. They can then provide as much speed as they can by innovating. Without the need to constrict traffic in order to generate billable events they can help assure openness.