Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

MarkMail access to IP list archives
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:12:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim () oreilly com>
Date: August 16, 2008 5:23:41 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Jason Hunter <jhunter () marklogic com>

Dave,

At my suggestion, Jason Hunter of MarkLogic reached out to you (or whoever runs the IP list archive for you) and got IP included in their amazing markmail.org search engine. This is an xquery-based search engine that provides fast search access, with multi-pane drilldown on topic, thread, or author, histograms showing the frequency of posts on same, etc.

It was originally launched as a demonstration project hosting open source software mailing lists. (MarkLogic's business model for the project is to sell commercial services to enterprise clients.) I love using this tool, and wanted to have IP in it as well. So thanks for agreeing to do so.

I thought it would be a good idea to point IP users to the archive. You can go to markmail.org and click through to the ip list, or, as long as their isn't any other list called ip, you can use the shortcut url ip.markmail.org.

Unfortunately, since all messages are sent to the list by one person (Dave), you lose the ability to search on author in the way you can on other lists, but it's still a great way to find all messages on a topic.

Tim O'Reilly, Founder and CEO, O'Reilly Media
707-827-7150   tim () oreilly com
http://www.oreilly.com, http://radar.oreilly.com