Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NSF and the Birth of the Internet
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:06:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Louis Mamakos <louie () transsys com>
Date: August 19, 2008 8:40:42 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:         NSF and the Birth of the Internet

In some sense the Internet had been around for some time before the
day the big switch got thrown.  The transition flag day was a forcing
function for those not already on the bandwagon.

Prior January, 1983, there were certainly other operating systems
and hosts doing the IP thing.  At that time, we had a small herd
of Fuzzballs running around via Dave Mills, and "connected" to the
Internet via a 1200bps dial-up link to one of his boxes.  Along
with Mike Petry, we wrote a TCP/IP stack for our UNIVAC 1108 and
1100/40 mainframes, back when those dinosaurs still roamed the
earth.  They were there at the time of the ARPANET transition.

(Even back then, Dave Mills was doing the clock synchronization
thing with a precursor to NTP, using the Fuzzball HELLO routing
protocol.  It was a distance-vector protocol that would use
delay as the metric vs. hop count.  Of course, we taught our
UNIVAC dinosaurs/mainframes to speak it as well.)

In my library, I have a copy of "TCP/IP IMPLEMENTATIONS AND VENDORS
LIST" from the SRI NETWORK INFORMATION CENTER, dated October 1993.
It's an interesting snapshot of the ecosystem, such as it was,
back then.  For those with access to the old SRI-NIC archives, it
was <NETINFO>TCP-IP-IMPLEMENTATIONS.TXT

Louis Mamakos