Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

Equal capacity for equal pay!
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:13:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tony Lauck <tlauck () madriver com>
Date: August 31, 2008 11:36:01 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, lroberts () anagran com
Subject: Equal capacity for equal pay!

That's it, exactly! "Equal capacity for equal pay." Dispense with the concept of flow, it really is an upper layer concept that has no place within the network itself.

I would add one proviso: don't limit utilization unnecessarily. Apply the rule only when necessary, i.e. when there is competition between users. If packets from a single user are competing with other packets from that user, leave any prioritization to the user's gateway or network. (Or to the parent who can disconnect the kid's computer, the ultimate embodiment of equal capacity for equal pay.)

With aggregation this way, it then becomes possible to scale the congestion management hierarchically. Backbones need to know the utilization of ISPs and their payments. ISPs need to know the utilization of customers and their payments. LAN managers need to know the utilization of individuals or departments, etc.

Tony Lauck
https://www.aglauck.com

Begin forwarded message: