Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Peter Swire: No, You Can't Search My Laptop
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 05:42:02 -0700

From: Steven M. Bellovin [smb () cs columbia edu]
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2008 11:05 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: rca53 () columbia edu
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    Peter Swire: No, You Can't Search My Laptop

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 17:09:55 -0700
David Farber <dave () farber net> wrote:

But you raise, perhaps unintentionally, the more likely (inevitable?)
and interesting controversy: if Customs can search your information
stored on physical media at the border without a warrant, why do they
need a warrant to search it at the "electronic border" as you
transmit the same information it to and from your server when you are
abroad?

This is precisely my concern; I blogged about it last month
(http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/blog/2008-07/2008-07-10.html).  The
issue of disclosure of keys may also be different.  Just as people have
no right to conceal physical objects when crossing a border, is there a
right to conceal information you are importing or exporting?  This is a
very different question than ordinary criminal cases.