Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

Interesting Travel Experience
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:48:06 -0700

From: eekid () aol com [eekid () aol com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 5:01 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Interesting Travel Experience

Prof. Farber,

The week before last, my wife and I traveled to Bermuda via ship.  My wife didn't have a passport so prior to traveling
we verified that we could travel using birth certificates until 2009.  I have a passport and decided to use it but also
carry my birth certificate.  When asked for my identification, I presented my passport.  The woman entered my passport
information and stared at the screen.  Then, she swiped the long edge of the book through a reader.  It seemed to be
taking an unusually long time.  She then turned to another person and said, "I'm getting a red light on this passport".
 The other person at the desk, then performed the same actions as she did and commented "Hmmm we're doing everything
right".  I then spoke up and said, I have my birth certificate and handed it to her.  She looked at the birth
certificate and allowed me to pass.

This raises a few questions.  Is the new passport system reliable?  What does it say about border security when a birth
certificate trumps a passport?  Will my passport (the expensive little booklet) allow me to travel in the future?

Jerry
It's time to go back to school! Get the latest trends and gadgets that make the grade on AOL
Shopping<http://shopping.aol.com/back-to-school?ncid=aolins00050000000007>.